Concrete Patch Ups.

Project Description

Concrete patch ups done in the industrial estate of Nerang, for a business owner who was getting his commercial property ready for new tenants to move in. The 35-year-old concrete was really badly cracked and had chunks missing out of it. The reason this was happening was not just due to the age of the concrete but also some parts of the concrete was only 60mm thick and other parts were 120mm thick. A lot of the steel was sitting on the ground and was not lifted or chaired.

There was a lot of excavation work that was needed to get the old concrete out. We had to use the demolition saw to cut out where the new concrete patch ups were going to be put and then we used the rock breaker/jackhammer on the excavator to break up and pull all the old concrete out. This itself took a day to do as all the concrete and some of the clay base that was pulled out had to be carted away and dumped. We had to pull some of the clay base out to get the depth down to 150mm.

The following day we began to set up the concrete patch ups. No boards were needed to form this job as the form work that was used was just the existing concrete. We drilled and dowelled into all the existing concrete. Altogether there were about 60 dowels. We also able flexed along some of the sides of the different concrete patch ups. We placed the SL92 steel mesh into the concrete patch ups. We did place chairs under the steel but majority of it was sitting on top of the steel dowels that were drilled into the concrete.

Due to the very unpredictable weather we were having we did not pour the concrete on the same day. We did return 2 days later to pour the concrete patch ups. On arrival to the job site we noticed all the patch ups were filled with water. We used a little pump to pump majority of the water out and then used a little container to get the rest of it out. The plain concrete was poured at 40 MPA directly out the chute of the truck into the patch ups. The concrete patch ups were hit with the edger 2-3 times and hit with the trowel 5-6 times. The tool jointer was also used on some of the patch ups to place the control joints in. We then used the broom to finish it off.

Project Details

  • Date September 7, 2018
  • Tags Concrete Projects
Back to Top